- This event has passed.
Stewarding Our Aquifer Field Day
May 17 @ 9:00 am - 1:15 pm$20.00
A day filled with presentations & tours of 1 or 2 urban playas is what to expect with this aquifer field day. The presentations include topics over ecosystems, the history of Lamb County underground water usage, and strategies for water usage in the South Plains district. A lunch catered by Rejino Barbeque will also be provided.
- 9:00 a.m.: Doors Open for Registration
- 9:30 a.m.: Welcome & Overview, Darryl Birkenfeld, Director, Ogallala Commons & Playa Landowner
- 9:45 a.m.: Playa Restoration through TX Playa Conservation Initiative, Heather Johnson, Migratory Game Bird Specialist, Region 1, of the Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept., Littlefield, TX
- 10:15 a.m.: Consequences of Aquifer Depletion on the Llano Estacado, Dr. John E. Stout, Physical Scientist at Wind Erosion & Water Conservation Research Unit, United States Dept. of Agriculture-Agricultural Research Service, Lubbock, TX
- 10:45 a.m.: Break
- 11:00 a.m.: Region O Water Planning: Impacts/Guidance for the South Plains, Dr. Melanie Barnes, Public Representative, Llano Estacado (Region O) Water Planning Group, Lubbock TX
- 11:40 a.m.: Depart for Field Trip in the Olton Locality (10-min. drive)
- 12:30 p.m.: Lunch (Rejino Barbeque) back at the Olton Community Center
- 1:00 p.m.: Closing Remarks, Jim Steiert, Moderator, Ag Journalist & Playa Enthusiast, Hereford, TX
- 1:15 p.m.: Adjourn
Register by May 15. To RSVP, contact Darryl Birkenfeld at firstname.lastname@example.org